I'm excited to announce that we'll be offering a new class for the 2015-2016 season: Show Twirl Team. Most likely you've never heard of this before and are wondering what your twirler will do in this class. Listed below is information about the class, along with some example videos. We hope to have your twirler join our new team!
All About Show Twirl Team
What is it?
Show twirl team is a competitive event that allows twirlers to perform a group routine using batons and any other props. Some examples include, ribbons, flags, props based on the theme, etc. In our show twirl team this year, we'll be using batons, hula hoops, scarves, and possibly a few others.
Here's an example of a show corp routine (this one is longer and a bigger group than we'll be doing). This will give you an idea of what it can look like with experienced twirlers. A little further down is an example of a local, beginner routine.
Who is it for?
- Ages 6+
- Twirlers who started twirling in Summer 2015 or earlier
- Twirlers who want to be a part of a team
- Twirlers who want to incorporate other props into their skills besides batons
- Twirlers who want to have a lot of fun!
What will the theme be?
We'll be using the song "Dear Future Husband" by Meghan Trainor and styling it as a modern take on a 50's theme. We'll be using hula hoops, scarves, batons, and, possibly, some additional props.
This routine will have some elements that will be choreographed by the students on the team with teacher guidance. It will be a great opportunity for them to start learning how to choreograph.
Where will this routine be performed?
- At our usual stage performances during the school year (such as Boulder Creek Festival)
- Additional stage performance options - we're working on putting together a few additional performance opportunities for twirlers on this team
- At 3-4 local twirling competitions (these all take place at Ranum Middle School - 80th & Federal)
What are the requirements?
There are a few additional requirements for this class. Please be sure you can do the following:
- Attend 3-4 local twirling competitions - these take place on Sundays in November (most likely the 8th), February, March, and late April/early May. We should have all of the competition dates by the end of August.
- Participate in local performances (you will be alerted of the dates as soon as they are set)
- Purchase a costume (approximately $50-60), tights, and jazz shoes
- Be enrolled in our weekly twirling class
- Have previous twirling experience (at least since Summer 2015)
- Be a current USTA member
"It is so great to learn to work together as a team. I think learning to support and encourage peers is so important and that is what these group classes have taught the girls."
Amanda, Anna Claire's mom
What are the costs?
- $45 registration fee - this covers all your twirler's show twirl team competition entry fees and helps with the purchase of props
- monthly tuition - 30 minute class rate
- USTA membership - $18 for a first year membership; $35 for a full membership
- costume (approximately $50-60) and jazz shoes
When is the class?
Show twirl team meets on Tuesdays, 4:00-4:25 pm at the YMCA on Arapahoe just before our Weekly Twirling Class. It starts on Tuesday, September 8th.